A spiritual exploration of the True Self based on Richard Rohr’s book, Immortal Diamond. Rediscover your forgotten Self that can never be destroyed—only transformed to live in eternal Love.
A 10-week online course exploring the True Self and the False Self, based on Richard Rohr’s book, Immortal Diamond. Learn to “die before we die” and discover how the promise of resurrection is true for each of us—right now.
Immortal Diamond is an opportunity to mine for the real you that has been there all along, hidden under the trappings of ego and False Self.
As Richard Rohr writes, “Life is not a matter of creating a special name for ourselves, but of uncovering the name we have always had.” We need ego to help us function, succeed, and belong. But if we let it stay in charge, ego stands in the way of living freely and authentically, from our God-given identity and calling. We are called to “die before we die,” to discover that the promise of resurrection is true for each of us, now.
This course will deepen your understanding of the True Self, what it means to die before you die, resurrection, and the transformative journey. Rediscover your forgotten Self that can never be destroyed—only transformed to live in eternal Love.
- Discover a vision of your True Self through reading, reflection and engagement with Fr. Richard’s book, Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self
- Deepen your enjoyment of divine friendship by opening spaces for God’s love and life to flow through you
- Develop contemplative practice(s) to form the alternative consciousness on the path toward spiritual maturity
- Connect and learn with other spiritual seekers
Participants enroll in our online contemplative courses, like Immortal Diamond, for many reasons.
Some said the course helped them feel more secure in their identities, especially when dealing with major life changes, like navigating life after college or managing “empty nest syndrome.”
Others expanded their spiritual awareness through contemplative practices and community discussions that invited increasingly deeper states of consciousness.
Participants who engaged fully with the course shared that they:
- Discovered scripture and Christian mystical wisdom that inspired a more vibrant, energizing, and fulfilling spiritual life.
- Found a sense of greater calm and inner peace even while navigating major life changes, like navigating a professional transition or experiencing the beginning, end, or loss of an important relationship.
- Felt a deeper and more sustained connection to God by reaffirming their values and living from their True Self instead of the ego.
- Let go of fear and self-consciousness by sharing stories with other participants who validate and support transformation.
Below you will find the course schedule for all upcoming offerings. You can register or sign up to be notified of an upcoming course by clicking the buttons below.
Immortal Diamond is a 10-week online course. Students should expect to invest 2–4 hours of work each week on course material, reading assignments, online discussions with other students, and time for personal reflection.
- This course is taught in English.
- There are no pre-requisites for this course.
- Learn more about the technical requirements for taking this course.
Students will have access to course content for the duration of the course. Course content will be available four weeks after the course ends.
A copy of Richard Rohr’s book Immortal Diamond is required reading for this course (not included in course registration).
To apply for financial assistance, please complete the online Financial Assistance Form at least 1 week before registration is scheduled to close. Please do not register for the online course until your request for financial assistance has been processed.
This is a sample video from the course.
Each week students will explore a new topic of study through teaching material, reflections, student discussions, contemplative practice, and supplemental articles and multimedia—including exclusive teachings from Fr. Richard.
Coursework includes weekly reading assignments, discussions, journaling reflections, and contemplative practice. Contemplative practices are designed to help you break down the dualistic walls separating education from practice and are not meant to substitute for your regular contemplative practice. Students can progress through each week at their own pace.
- Week 1 — Course Overview & Pre-Course Work
Prepare yourself for the course and get a feel for the lessons and functions that follow.
- Week 2 — Invitation and Preface
By the end of this lesson, you will be able to see why Fr. Richard wrote this book and perceive the open invitation to be in deeper touch with your True Self.
- Week 3 — Chapter 1: What Is “The True Self”?
Explore and unpack “What is ‘The True Self’?” and gain a better understanding of what Fr. Richard means by the True Self and its importance in your life.
- Week 4 — What Is “The False Self”?
You will gain a better understanding of what Fr. Richard means by the False Self and the role that it plays in your life.
- Week 5 — What Dies and Who Lives? & Chapter 4: The Knife Edge of Experience
By the end of this lesson, you will gain a better understanding of the transformative process of recognizing and experiencing your False Self and the emergence of your True Self.
- Week 6 — Thou Art That
Continue your journey with Fr. Richard into understanding your True Self.
- Week 7 — If It Is True, It Is True Everywhere
Learn why we resist union and the necessary suffering we go through to resurrect into the fullness of our True Self.
- Week 8 — Enlightenment at Gunpoint
Through the video teachings, Contemplative Practice, and a recorded interview with Fr. Richard, you will continue to see how the Franciscan Way can be integrated into your daily life.
- Week 9 — Intimate with Everything
You will explore Chapter 8, Intimate with Everything, of Immortal Diamond, and will see the importance that risk plays in Divine and human intimacy.
- Week 10 — Love Is Stronger Than Death
You will have greater insight into the ways that your True Self has always been present and inspiring you on the transformative journey.